Thread: I think that it is the end of this adventure.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I think that it is the end of this adventure.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I think that this time, we've reach the end of our project.

The people visiting are very low, the posting is virtually at nothing and we are reaching the end of PHP7.4 and the software that we are using cannot last when this happens.

I really have 3 options now.

1. I find and use a new software and we start again. It is feasible but are you willing to commit to make it work. FYI: I have a license to version 5 (that I paid) and the data won't transfert correctly. Also, v5 is already obsolete and they want even more money for v6 so I won't even consider this know the free options available.
    2. Transorm this website into something else, like a survival store. I am sure that I can work with a couple companies that will do drop shipping.
    3. Shutdown everything and move to another part of my life.

The decision is up to you, the members, and I will abide by your decision. Please let me know here what you want to do or what other options that you may have.

Marc
    Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!

Contact the internet archive and let them have a copy of the current site before it goes down.

I haven't participated much here but it breaks my heart to notice more and more of the old internet disappear forever as sites shut down.

edit: at least I understood that this current forum and contents cannot be ported to a new platform?

Quote Originally Posted by KLF View Post
    edit: at least I understood that this current forum and contents cannot be ported to a new platform?
    You understood right. Even the script maker is having troubles converting. There is about 20 conversions to come to the current version and it fails at the first one. Plus the latest platform is EXPENSIVE.

Other solutions don't offer the data transfert. We would restart from scratch, but with the actual traffic, is it worth our time and efforts?
    Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!

I, obviously, don't know all the specifics involved here. But conversions from older versions of vBulletin to Xenforo can and are done. A forum in another niche I'm on staff with did that some years back. It was fairly painless, despite being a huge database.

However, as mentioned, with the state of activity, is it worth the work and cost? Candidly, the third option seems like the only viable one.

Best of wishes with whichever path chosen.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    You understood right. Even the script maker is having troubles converting. There is about 20 conversions to come to the current version and it fails at the first one. Plus the latest platform is EXPENSIVE.

Other solutions don't offer the data transfert. We would restart from scratch, but with the actual traffic, is it worth our time and efforts?
    Long time no talk. I always check in here periodically but have not been as active recently as I would like. Sometimes projects need a breath of fresh air to be revived. If there are issues with converting to a new software, a fresh start on something free (at least to start to reduce costs on you.) would be an acceptable option. Is there a way to retain the data here in an archive of sorts? Hate to lose everything unnecessarily.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

I have the data so it is not going to be lost. I am just not going to be able to display it unless I create a machine with PHP7 on it. If I were to do so, I would have no reason to shut it down.

I'll most likely shit myself

RJ,
    What is the best option outside of shutting the site down?
    I'm open to possibilities

Bacon saver

Well, I'm all in which ever you decide. As I said in the PM to RJ. "If you need funding, I'm still in." Guilty as charged with the lack of participation. BUT! I'm still here.
    Just keep us posted and Thank you RJ.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.