Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepping for earthquakes.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Possom View Post
    Haha stormfeather. I'm sure you got used to them out there. But here in the ouachita mountains shit ain't supposed to move like that. If the ground wiggles just a little bit people take notice here.

One of my biggest concerns of a major earthquake on the new Madrid is the nuke power plant that sits about 100 miles east of me. Shake it's cooling tower down and we are in some trouble.
    At least it sits east of you and not west of you, you can be pretty sure that the prevailing winds will take all radiation the opposite way, which is a blessing no matter how you look at it!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    there's a nuk power plant in Central Illinois as well .... single reactor currently with another one under construction .... not sure how well that power company is prepared for The Big One
    How far are you situated from that power plant, and is it to your east or west? If its to your east, at the least you dont have to worry about the winds bringing anything to you, but if you are in close proximity to it, well... yur kinda screwed!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    there's a nuk power plant in Central Illinois as well .... single reactor currently with another one under construction .... not sure how well that power company is prepared for The Big One
    No nuclear plants near me but I live 80Ish miles south of Crane Naval base (naval base with no water? )
    They do a lot of munitions testing, surface and air electronics warfare, and chemical and biological detection. I believe they stored chemical and biological agents years ago and probably still do.

That place worries me

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Coming from Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, I can tell you, earthquakes are no joke! But, those little 4'pointers wont even wake me up from a nap!
    This. After living in southern California for long enough, I don't even notice the small tremors.

Earthquakes are kind of what got me into the prep mindset as a kid. We all had our 72 bags and stationary storage preps, we just called them "earthquake kits" back then.

It's one of those things that can wreak havoc on city infrastructure very quickly, and without a whole lot of warning. I live near a few tunnels that if blocked or collapsed would severely effect vehicular movement in the area. It is one of the contingencies I plan for in depth.

Being a California resident, my concern is the "Big One" as we call it. I think it will be the event that triggers SHTF. Consider roads blocked, overpasses down and airport runways badly damaged. Water mains will be broken. Food will not get to the stores, better have some in your pantry! No water coming out of the tap? The government will provide, right? Don't count on it.